Monday, June 30, 2008

First Day Home

Jana here, reporting on our first day home. :)


But first of all, a special thanks to Jenn & Randy for creating and updating this blog with each bit of news. It was such a blessing to know that they were spreading the word when I wasn't able to do it myself.


Our first day home was wonderful. Eric and I commented that it would be nice to always have off work and spend our days lazying around. He's still in a bit of pain, but it's become manageable. He has trouble sleeping at night because of the pain, yet each day he seems to grow stronger. Last night we went on our first walk around the block (pictured below is Eric & my dad). Watch out all you basketball boys...we came upon a low b-ball hoop and Eric jumped up to touch the rim - so he'll be back in no time!

Today we had many visitors, which Eric enjoyed because he doesn't always remember those that came in the hospital. I'm just amazed how each day he grows stronger! Only the awesome God we serve could have made it happen that six days later he would be sitting at home being his good old self. I was going to take our house key off his motorcycle ring and give it to his mom so she could stop by while I go back to work this week. He made the comment, "But then how would I ride my motorcycle?". What am I going to do with him!

I'll try to keep putting updates as he makes even more progress. I might even get the man himself to write a few words, if he's feeling up to it. :)

I wanted to thank everyone for their prayers, words of encouragment, and support over the past few days. It made us realize what a strong community family we're a part of. And although we recognize this could be a long journey of healing for the both of us...at least we're doing it together.

5 comments:

Bill Troyer said...

We're just blown away how Eric is progressing! Jana, we are so happy you have your husband back! And Eric, welcome back... Blessings to both of you!

Bill & Ruth

Anonymous said...

only met eric but once. happy to hear he is doing so well! thank you for taking the time to update jana. =)

Anonymous said...

Eric,

How thankful I am that you are home and seem to be improving with each day. I know our paths do not cross very often at work, but when they do, you always, always have that beautiful smile of yours to brigthen anyone's day.

I thank God and your Guardian Angel that they held you in their hands when you needed them at that fateful moment. I believe there is a reason Andy, your rescuer was brought into your life. There's a reason for everything.

Hey, maybe you'll come out of this with some kind of special power. For instance, you could have some kind of mind control, like at work, if you wanted it to be "jeans" day, you could control the bosses' minds to say "Hey, let's give everyone a jeans day today" and puff, we get to wear jeans. We'll have to work on that when you get back to work, okay :)?

I pray you will continue to improve with every breath you take and I pray for your wife and family as well. You are a very special individual I can tell, by all the kind words everyone has to say about you on your blog.

Oh, by the way...that fish you are holding up? My grandson can catch a bigger fish than that and he's only four :)!

I'll keep praying for you and see you when you return to work - Genoa

Anonymous said...

Eric,
Forgot to mention this last night,and maybe you already heard from someone else, but I wanted to share this with you. I believe it was Wednesday night when you were in the ICU, there was an elderly volunteer who sat outside the waiting room (where we all were) who answered questions, made coffee, etc.
I was returning to the waiting room and she stopped me and said, "The man you are visiting...is he some kind of patriarch?" And I said, "Well, I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but his name is Eric and he's 28." She looked shocked and said, "I figured it was someone who had lived a long and meaningful life who was leaving a legacy, because I have been volunteering here for seven years and I have never seen so people come to visit one young man!"
I said, "Well, we all think Eric is pretty special."

I just wanted to share that with you because that speaks volumes about you and your character. It also shows how much your family and friends love you.

Jana, I am amazed at how strong you've been and you can rest easy knowing that God is in control of every aspect of your life and that you can handle ANYTHING with poise and grace. I will continue to pray for you as you heal along with Eric.

Anonymous said...

Eric,

It will be great to see you again -
at work or wherever. The last time Joe and I saw you you were still in a coma. I will say you looked very tall lying there!

You'll probably have so many "visitors" the first few days at the office that you may not get much done. That's okay - I think it's safe to say that you've worked very hard in the past and will probably do so in the future.
Enjoy all the welcome backs. It is a blessing to all of us to see the miracle God has performed!

P.S. --I am with Genoa, I think you may have the power to declare a "jeans" day at work. And maybe an Ice cream celebration too!?!

Marti